Sunday, January 18, 2015

Perspective

So I wrote a post last June, which you can read here, in which I documented me finding out I was pregnant and telling my husband. Two weeks ago, I asked my husband to tell his side of the story, and here it is.

The Sum of All Fears or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the bump


So I come in from a morning run, tired and sweaty and just looking forward to a stretch and a shower and then some breakfast. I walk in the door with music still going and take off my headphones to say hi to Keighley, whom I had left asleep but assumed was up and about by now. I get no response after trying a few times so I guessed that she was just sleeping in. Took off my shoes, put away my headphones and running belt, refilled my water and finally made my way upstairs.

Now at this point I should probably state that I am really bad at being surprised. I have an annoying knack for figuring them out beforehand so it takes more than just “not telling me” to not tell me something. So when Keighley finally responded to “Where are ya?” with “I’m upstairs, I have something to show you”, the thought crossed my mind: What if it’s a pregnancy test?

At the risk of digressing too much, I will backpedal one more time to tell you that we had been “not trying, but not preventing” for about four months at this point, so you can understand why the thought was among the list of them that pop up when she says “I have something to show you”. The other things that came up were “I’m too sweaty and gross for any fun times”, “I hope whatever it is, it isn’t another puppy”and “Where did you move the furniture to?”.

I approach cautiously, not sure what to expect, and as I push open the door, I quickly notice a few things. Keighley is standing on the other side of the bed, she’s fully clothed so there goes one possibility. I hear no barking, so no new puppy. Furniture is intact, no new layout. But there’s the camera on the tripod, and then I finally see it. The pile on the bed.
Keighley had been keeping a few things for just such an occasion: a few books, a thirt, A ONESIE! “Who’s gonna be a dad? THIS GUY “. I looked at the pile for a second. Then I looked at Keighley. Then back at the pile. At this point, I’m not sure what I said, but it was probably to the effect of “Really?!”.

I walked over to her and gave her a big hug and kiss and she pulls out a little plastic baggy with no less than four different types of pregnancy tests. Now, they all use different symbols but I’m pretty sure it’s universally accepted that a smiley face or two blue lines means your life is no longer the same.

I was excited, but terrified. We had talked about it, we had a general plan, we knew that we’d make it work, etc. but we hadn’t guessed for one second that it would happen so relatively easily. In an instant, it went from worrying about the future of this abstract concept to a defined timeline and a concrete reality.

I spent a while just accepting that it was real, and I still can’t believe it to this day even though he’s already a month old. That Sunday I was truly surprised and couldn’t have been more excited about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment